Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Making History!

Last night was incredible! Over 150 people gatherd at Indian Hills Country Club to watch the election results come in for the big cityhood election. WOW! While I usually write about things in this blog that happened more than 24 hours ago, Jurupa Valley becoming a city is certainly a historic moment which deserves a post on a blog about Jurupa history!

The atmosphere in the room was fantastic! A great cross section of the citizens of our fair city were represented. We were thrilled to find out the results of the election: Measure A passed; our city council will be choosen "at large"; and our new city council will consist of Laura Roughton, Verne Lauritzen, Mike Goodland, Frank Johnston, and Brad Hancock. Laura, as the top vote getter, will also serve as the very first mayor of Jurupa Valley.

After all the work that the Yes on Measure A Committe put into this election, I think we were all thrilled and a little numb! I say "we" because I was a member of that committee. As someone who loves Jurupa history, it was a bit surreal to realize I not only was witnessing a historic moment, but played a small part in making that historic moment happen.

We were joined last night by two of the proponents of the last incorporation try, almost twenty years ago. Barbara Veitch and Ed Hawkins were there to see cityhood finally arrive in Jurupa.

As I said in my last post, I spent another momentous election night in that same room when my dad, Don Jarrell, was elected to the Jurupa Unified School District board. Last night I was so happy that Emma Jane Kuma, a dear dear friend of my parents, joined us to celebrate the successful cityhood election. Two elections, 32 years apart!

This morning when I ventured out to work I have to say, seeing my new city for the first time in the light of a new day, it looked brighter somehow. The colors were richer, everthing glowed just a little bit. I know, it sounds crazy! But when I came back home tonight, I found the same thing happening! I think the election victory is affecting my vision, in a good way!

I promise that the next post will be about something other than cityhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment