Monday, February 28, 2011

Election Night Parties

The historic cityhood election is coming up March 8th and the Yes on Measure A Committee has planned a  party at Indian Hills Country Club to watch the results come in. This reminded me of another election night many years ago. My Dad, Don Jarrell, was a real estate agent here in Jurupa and he got tired of people telling him they did not want to move to this area because the schools weren't good. He decided to do something about it and ran for the school board. Bill Hughes, who owned the Rubidoux Mortuary, was his treasurer. I remember that the election occurred in November 1979 and I couldn't vote because I was just shy of 18. The night of the election a number of people went up to Indian Hills Country Club to wait for the results. Since we didn't have computors like today, someone had to get on the phone and try to get through to the Registrar of Voters to get the results. I remember the room seemed dark (or maybe it was just my nerves) and the first results were posted on a piece of paper, once they managed to get through on the phone. My Dad won the election, against the incumbant, and I never forgot that night, that room, and that election.  This election party will include a few of the same people as that long ago election party. I will update this post later to include who was there both nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment