Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Getting Carried Away

On March 9, 1907 the Los Angeles Times reported the following marriage in a column about Riverside happenings. Some journalist was getting a little carried away with the reporting on this one:

"The romance of a black-eyed Indian maiden of West Riverside and a stalwart pale-face of Los Angeles culminated in a marriage in the Chambers of Judge Densmore in the Courthouse yesterday afternoon. The bride was Miss. Nora Martines, a Native Californian of twenty summers, and the groom was George E. Thompson, a Los Angeles dairyman, six years her senior. Though married the judge's office with an ordinary serge suit for her bridal gown, the bride was as happy as though the wedding had had all the accompaniments of soft music, orange blossoms, and a troop of bridesmaids."

1 comment:

  1. I have a new URL for links to my Eastvale stories and transcriptions:
    http://meiszen.net/eastvale/index.htm
    +
    I call it my "EASTVALE INDEX"
    =
    Besides my Jurupa Rancho overlay map, and my "River Walks" collection, there are links to some new sets of historical aerial photos of Eastvale landmarks dating from 1938, including "East Vale School #2" on Sumner Ave, built about 1914 where I attended 1934-1941 - the site is now at the NW corner of Sumner and Schleisman.

    ReplyDelete