Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Mission Boulevard

When I look at old newspaper articles there is often a reference to "the county road" in the Jurupa area. This reference can be seen even as late as the 1920s. The reason it is lower case is because it wasn't the actual name of the road but was the generic term used for a road that was maintained by the County. There weren't many roads maintained by the County way back when so "the county road" was usually a main road, an important road. But which road was it? My local historian friends and I long suspected that it was Mission Boulevard but I didn't have any proof...until recently. In an old issue of one of the Riverside newspapers I saw a reference to the county road that was just west of the West Riverside Bridge. Well, that would have to be today's Mission Boulevard because it is the road that leads west from that bridge. Then I found an article from 1913 that mentioned naming a state highway that went from the Los Angeles area to Riverside the "Mission Road." Voila! Now we can know for certain that the county road is Mission and we also know that Mission Boulevard was named way back in 1913.   I am still trying to find out when it went from being a "road" to being a "boulevard."

No comments:

Post a Comment