Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Place Called Bly

A quarry was begun in Pyrite Canyon in the Glen Avon area about 1900. It was soon taken over and expanded to at least two quarries by the Bly Brothers who owned the Bly Brothers Stone Company in Los Angeles. The stone was taken from the quarry to their yard in LA for finishing. In 1903 or 1904 a spur line was built to the quarries  by the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake Railroad. The spur went from the Pedley area to Pyrite Canyon. At the end of the spur line a siding was built for the loading of the rock. That siding became known as "Bly." Sometimes that area shows up on old maps as Bly as well, even thought there never was a real community known as Bly.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    I stumbled across your website when looking for history regarding Jurupa's schools. Do you have any pictures or information on the original school houses built in Jurupa? Would you mind emailing me with any information or help you could provide? I can explain in further detail what I was needing it for...

    Thank You!

    Shauna Salazar
    Art Director, PJHM Architects
    shauna@pjhm.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is any relationship. Blyth was named for Mr. Blythe and the Bly Brothers last name was actually Bly. I wondered that myself!

    ReplyDelete