Saturday, March 10, 2012

Walking in Previous Footsteps

My first deadline for my upcoming book, Wicked Jurupa Valley, is looming! I have to have all photos, maps, and any other images to the publisher by March 15th. With that in mind, last Saturday my husband and I took a drive to Los Angeles so I could take photos of two apartment buildings. These buildings had been owned back in the 1940s by a man named John Owen. They were managed by a woman named Agnes Garnier. Agnes had become John's mistress but it didn't end well. At John's big ranch here in Jurupa Valley a gun went off that ended John's life. That gun was in Agnes's hand when it went off. I think we can say their relationship didn't end well!

Researching and writing the story of John and Agnes for the book makes me think of them in a very personal way. It is almost like they become distant relatives, the kind you catch up with every year when you get their Christmas newsletter. So, seeing places where they actually lived and breathed was quite exciting for me. Both buildings were locked but I managed to finagle my way into the lobby of one of them. I could imagine Agnes walking across the lobby's black and while tiled floors. I could see John standing in front of the elevators, waiting to go up to visit Agnes. It was very cool walking where they walked!  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment