Saturday, August 6, 2011

Childhood Summer in Jurupa Hills

I have just one brother who is much older than me so I was, in many ways, an only child. When we lived on Moraga Way in Jurupa Hills the late 1960s there weren't a lot of kids around, either, so I had plenty of time to myself, creating my own fun. At that time there were still lots of undeveloped lots in the area and the houses on Pico hadn't been built yet. So, I had lots of open fields to range around in. My little dog Patches and I would sometimes be gone for hours while I made up stories along the way of the adventures I was pretending we were having!  There were lots of great big rocks to climb on, and if I went really far I could check out the rail road tracks. One time I found a dead baby rabbit. I felt so sorry for it not having a proper burial that I took it home in a box and hid it under my bed until I could have a proper ceremony the next time my friend Myra came over. Well, Myra didn't come over as soon as I had hoped and one day I looked under the bed to check on the rabbit and caught a whiff of something unpleasant. Somehow I knew that I better get that rabbit buried soon. I enlisted the help of David who lived down the street, even though he was a yucky boy (it wasn't that he personally was yucky, but at that time of my life I though all boys were yucky!!). We buried the rabbit. David, of course, slammed a big old rock down on top of the grave. Note I said "slammed," not "placed." I was annoyed but knew that it was better that the rabbit be out from under my bed, rock or not.   

No comments:

Post a Comment