Saturday, July 14, 2012

How the new park got its name

I attended the grand opening of the newest park in Jurupa Valley, Centennial Park, this morning. It is located at the corner of Jurupa Road and Camino Real. The park, which is also a flood control basin,  can accommodate up to eight children's soccer games at one time, which is a great addition to the number of soccer fields we have in Jurupa Valley. The landscape architect who helped plan the park took questions for the audience. It probably won't surprise you to find out that I wanted to know where the name of Centennial Park came from. The story is that since the flood control basin was designed to handle a 100 year flood event, the board of the Jurupa Area Recreation and Park District decided, some 20 odd years ago, that the park in the basin should be named "Centennial." I will add that to my list of historic facts I have to confirm one of these days...in my spare time....   

No comments:

Post a Comment